Monday, March 10, 2014

Manor of Secrets







  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Point (January 28, 2014)
  • ISBN-10: 0545567580
  • Author: Katherine Longshore
  • Cover art: LOVE IT!
  • Overall rating: ** out of 5 stars
  • Obtained: My personal bookshelf.









Manor of Secrets by Katherine Longshore
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.


The year is 1911. And at The Manor, nothing is as it seems . . .

Lady Charlotte Edmonds: Beautiful, wealthy, and sheltered, Charlotte feels suffocated by the strictures of upper-crust society. She longs to see the world beyond The Manor, to seek out high adventure. And most of all, romance.

Janie Seward: Fiery, hardworking, and clever, Janie knows she can be more than just a kitchen maid. But she isn't sure she possesses the courage -- or the means -- to break free and follow her passions.

Both Charlotte and Janie are ready for change. As their paths overlap in the gilded hallways and dark corridors of The Manor, rules are broken and secrets are revealed. Secrets that will alter the course of their lives. . . forever.
(Synopsis provided by goodreads)

When this arrived in the mail, I was super excited. I had pre-ordered this back in December after having finished Cinders and Sapphires which I really enjoyed. I also read WentworthHall when it came out and really liked that. This sounded like a similar book so I was eager to read it. 

I was bored. I admit I read all but the last 90 pages and I didn't like it. I never connected to the characters, they felt like paper dolls to me. I dreaded reading it. I only read a chapter a night and with each turn of the page I was hoping I would love it, hoping it would suddenly grab me, it never did. 

I know I am in the minority of this one, most people have really liked it, maybe it was my mood? I don't know, but this one just didn't work for me, it was like watching paint dry, nothing really happened. The only interesting this about Charlotte was that she wrote.

I may give this another try later on. 

If you are interested in reading this one, maybe get it from the library first or borrow from a friend. 

 
So say we all!

No comments: