Monday, September 9, 2013

Asylum















  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: HarperCollins (August 20, 2013)
  • ISBN-10: 0062220969
  • Author: Madeleine Roux
  • Cover art: Delightfully creepy!
  • Obtained: My personal Libray
  • Overall rating: *** 1/2 out of 5 stars.








Asylum by Madeleine Roux
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

For sixteen-year-old Dan Crawford, New Hampshire College Prep is more than a summer program—it's a lifeline. An outcast at his high school, Dan is excited to finally make some friends in his last summer before college. But when he arrives at the program, Dan learns that his dorm for the summer used to be a sanatorium, more commonly known as an asylum. And not just any asylum—a last resort for the criminally insane.

As Dan and his new friends, Abby and Jordan, explore the hidden recesses of their creepy summer home, they soon discover it's no coincidence that the three of them ended up here. Because the asylum holds the key to a terrifying past. And there are some secrets that refuse to stay buried.

Featuring found photos of unsettling history and real abandoned asylums and filled with chilling mystery and page-turning suspense, Madeleine Roux's teen debut, Asylum, is a horror story that treads the line between genius and insanity. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)


I struggled when deciding if this was a 3 or 4 star book. 3 seemed too low and 4 seemed to high, so I did 3 1/2. 
It was creepy and wonderful, but there were a few things I felt were left unanswered, which is what dropped it down from a solid four stars. 

I want to say that I find asylums completely creepy! The fact that this book had pictures of asylums gave the book a higher creepy factor. I liked the characters a lot Abby was great, Jordan was fun and kinda an ass. Felix was always kind of a question mark, which I liked. 

There were a few things that were very predictable, but there were a few things that surprised me.   I would have liked to have seen a few things fleshed out a bit more and I really wanted a few answers that I never got. (I believe this is a stand alone novel.)

The writing never seemed fake, by that I mean the characters always felt genuine and it always felt like they were being true to themselves. I also never felt like the relationships in the book between the characters were ever forced.

I really wanted to know more about Dan's past, but we never really got that information. Would have nice to know more about Lucy as well, but again we never really get that information.

Aside from that, I did really enjoy the book. Fall is almost here and that means Halloween, the perfect time to read this book. If you like creepy books then I would suggest picking up this one and giving it a read.

So say we all!

No comments: