Monday, July 29, 2013

Unveiling Mary Magdalene










  • Paperback: 320 pages
  • Publisher: WaterBrook Press (May 18, 2004)
  • ISBN-10: 140007021X
  • Author: Liz Curtis Higgs
  • Cover art: I love this edition!
  • Overall Rating: ***** out of 5 stars
  • Obtained: My personal bookshelf.








Unveiling Mary Magdalene by Liz Curtis Higgs
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews

The veil has been lifted.
Discover the Gospel truth about the most myth-understood woman of the New Testament. Was Mary Magdalene a prostitute? An adulteress? The wife of Jesus? An ancient goddess? Liz Curtis Higgs, best-selling author of Bad Girls of the Bible and Really Bad Girls of the Bible, combines heartfelt contemporary fiction with extensive biblical research to bring to life the real Mary Magdalene of the Bible.

With her own eyes, she saw him.
With her own ears, she heard him.
With her own hands, she touched him.

Unveiling Mary Magdalene
opens with the fictional journey of Mary Margaret Delaney, a madwoman adrift in modern Chicago. Her moving story, closely paralleling the biblical account, is followed by a verse-by-verse study of the first-century Mary Magdalene and her life-changing encounters with the Christ. (Synopsis provided by Goodreads)


This book was originally published with the title Mad Mary.

After reading several other books by Higgs, I was curious to learn about the notorious bad girl in the New Testament, I eagerly busted into this one and was shocked by what I found. Everything I thought I knew about Mary was wrong. 

Yep, all those thoughts we have about her, nope. We are wrong. Higgs dug deep in her research for this one, she went back to the 1600's and found out where some of the thoughts we have about Mary today are from. My eyes were opened.

I admit I found it a little disappointing that Mary wasn't a reformed bad girl but rather a good girl who had 7 demons cast out of her. (Don't get me wrong I am glad Christ cast out the demons!) 

However, after reading this book, I have found that Mary the REAL Mary Magdalene not the Mary Magdalene I thought she was is truly my favorite woman in the Bible.  I love what I learned about her and if you want to know who she really was pick up this book and find out!

Like the Bad Girls of the Bible series, this too begins with a modern day fictional tale on Mary and then in the last half of the book we get the study. Higgs shares with us all that she learned about Mary and she keeps her humor alive in this one as well.

Again, Men and women can learn form this one and like all of Higgs books, you don't have to be a Christian to enjoy them.


So say we all!

No comments: