Thursday, April 4, 2013

In Honor




  • Hardcover: 240 pages
  • Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (May 8, 2012)
  • ISBN-10: 1442416971
  • Author: Jessi Kirby
  • Cover art: Love it!
  • Overall rating: ***** out of 5 stars
  • Obtained: My personal bookshelf. 

In Honor by Jessi Kirby
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

 Honor receives her brother’s last letter from Iraq three days after learning that he died, and opens it the day his fellow Marines lay the flag over his casket. Its contents are a complete shock: concert tickets to see Kyra Kelly, her favorite pop star and Finn’s celebrity crush. In his letter, he jokingly charged Honor with the task of telling Kyra Kelly that he was in love with her.

Grief-stricken and determined to grant Finn’s last request, she rushes to leave immediately. But she only gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn’s best friend since third grade and his polar opposite. She hasn’t seen him in ages, thanks to a falling out between the two guys, but Rusty is much the same as Honor remembers him: arrogant, stubborn . . . and ruggedly good-looking. Neither one is what the other would ever look for in a road trip partner, but the two of them set off together, on a voyage that makes sense only because it doesn’t. Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and honor Finn--but when shocking truths are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences? (Synopsis provided by goodreads)


I really liked this one. It has been in my TBR pile since it was released. This was another one where I wondered why it took me so long to read it! I loved Honor's character. I found myself crying and laughing right along with her. 

Throughout the book, we get to see clips of Honor's brother Finn. I really wish that we could have seen more of Finn and learned a bit more about him. I did have an idea about what would happen at the end of the book, just due to the synopsis and in a way I was right, but I missed some of the details. 

Parts of this book, like most contemporaries, were predictable, but it was still good regardless.  I have found that I really like most contemporary books. Especially ones dealing with war. It's not a topic that gets written about much, which is sad, as I think it would be good if we had more books that deal with this topic. 

Rusty, was the character who Honor loves to hate. I could see why he got on her nerves, as I would have the same reaction for the most part that Honor did. But, by the end of the book I really started to like him. 

I loved it when he would tell Honor small things about Finn that she never knew. I laughed so hard when he told her about how Finn named the car! That was funny, and I would have said the same thing that Honor said!

The last chapter was bittersweet. I felt for Honor but at the same time, I was so happy for her. Even though this is a stand alone, I would like to know what happened to Honor after the last page, and what happened to Rusty? Or even a prequel, where we get to meet Finn, or Finn's time in Iraq. 

If you haven't yet, get to the bookstore and by yourself a copy of this one!



So say we all!

3 comments:

Bookworm1858 said...

For some reason, this book just got on my nerves. I like Kirby's writing and enjoyed her previous title but I had so many problems with the characters here.

Moirae(thefates) book reviews said...

You know, I have heard other people say the same thing about Honor's character.
I may re read it later to see if I can pinpoint it myself. Sorry, it took a day to approve the comment, I've been busy.
Thanks for stopping by and for the comment.

Archaznable said...

This might be a good book to read and I like how you review this book

Arch@Free E-Book