Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Rot & Ruin






  • Hardcover: 464 pages (Review of an ARC copy)
  • Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers; Reprint edition (September 14, 2010)
  • ISBN-10:1442402326 
  • Author: Jonathan Maberry
  • Cover art: It creeps me out.
  • Overall rating: ***** out of 5 stars.
  • Obtained: Won an ARC from Bewitched Bookworms Thanks Ladies!






Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

In the zombie-infested, post-apocalyptic America where Benny Imura lives, every teenager must find a job by the time they turn fifteen or get their rations cut in half. Benny doesn't want to apprentice as a zombie hunter with his boring older brother Tom, but he has no choice. He expects a tedious job whacking zoms for cash, but what he gets is a vocation that will teach him what it means to be human. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)

I've never really liked the idea of  "traditional" zombie books. I started to watch the t.v. show The walking dead and realized something. Zombies are AWESOME! I went over to my vast TBR pile and picked up this book, I've had it for nearly two years just sitting waiting to be picked up and read. I was about twenty pages in when I was asking myself, "Why, oh why did I wait so long to read this?"
  I was fifty pages in when I rushed out to buy book two. That hasn't happened since I was in 6th grade and started reading Harry Potter!

I loved this book! Maberry is an amazing author! He made me want a fake katana, after all if it's good enough for Tom (my favorite character in the book!) why shouldn't I want one? This book has characters from different cultures, Benny is Japanese and  Irish, while Nix (Love her!) is Irish. Tom is Benny's half brother and he is Japanese.

For me, this was the type of book where you know you need to sleep but it's so good and you just have to know what happens next, that you don't want to stop reading!

Maberry will have you laughing on one page then the next page he has you freaking out over the safety of the characters. The first line of the book has an amazing hook as well: "Benny Imura couldn't hold a job so he took to killing." Um, how great is that? It makes the reader go wait, what? And you just have to know more don't you?

If you are a zombie lover or even if you're a skeptic, you should pick this one up and give it a try, I've already ordered the first book in another series by Maberry as well. I loved this book as much as I loved Die for Me by Amy Plum, and if you follow my reviews, you know much I love her books!

What are you waiting for go read Rot & Ruin!


So say we all!

No comments: