Sunday, July 29, 2012

Rapture






  • Hardcover: 464 pages
  • Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (June 12, 2012)
  • ISBN-10: 0385739184
  • Author: Lauren Kate
  • Cover art: Love it!
  • Overall rating: *** out of 5 stars
  • Obtained: Local Library









Rapture by Lauren Kate
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

The sky is dark with wings . . . .

Like sand in an hourglass, time is running out for Luce and Daniel. To stop Lucifer from erasing the past they must find the place where the angels fell to earth. Dark forces are after them, and Daniel doesn’t know if he can do this—live only to lose Luce again and again.

Yet together they will face an epic battle that will end with lifeless bodies . . . and angel dust. Great sacrifices are made. Hearts are destroyed. And suddenly Luce knows what must happen.

For she was meant to be with someone other than Daniel. The curse they’ve borne has always and only been about her—and the love she cast aside. The choice she makes now will be the only one that truly matters.

In the fight for Luce, who will win?

The astonishing conclusion to the FALLEN series. Heaven can’t wait any longer. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)


I was very disappointed with this one to say the least.  After Fallen in love I found that I didn't care as much about the characters as I did in the previous books. I finally understand why so many people dislike Luce and Daniel. I didn't see any real character development with either of them. Yes, we get more answers about their past and we find out more about their curse, but the characters never GREW.


It really bothered me. I also found myself groaning out loud on a few pages on the book. I'm on the fence about "Bill",  on the one hand we know who he truly is and he's evil, on the other hand the way Kate wrote this book makes me wonder if we are meant to feel sorry for him? 


I do think my biggest issue with this book is how Kate made God a woman. I felt that was bordering on blasphemy. (But a lot of that is my personal religious beliefs coming through and no that's not the reason I gave this book 3 stars.)


I was right in how I guessed the book would end, but I was wrong in the way that I thought it would get to the end point.  Some of the deaths in this book seemed needless and there were some things that didn't make sense and a lot was still unanswered.


I still like Shelby and Miles and wished we saw more of them and Roland in this book then we did, but I did like the bits of the book that showed the other angles. I will still be purchasing a copy of this book just to finish off my collection on the series, but I really with the book was done differently.


The writing was okay, at times it felt like maybe Kate was feeling pressured to make the prose flowery as there were a few nauseating lines. But I still like the series as a whole and would still recommend the series as a whole with the warning that the last book isn't the best.  Kate is still one of my favorite authors and no matter who your favorite author is all of them are bound to have a book you don't like much, for Kate, this is the one I don't like much.






R
So say we all!

No comments: