Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wentworth Hall






  • Hardcover: 288 pages
  • Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (May 1, 2012)
  • ISBN-10: 1442451963
  • Author: Abby Grahame
  • Cover art: One of the best of the year.
  • Overall rating: ****1/2 stars out of 5
  • Obtained: My personal book shelf.








Wentworth Hall by Abby Grahame
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

The prettiest people often have the ugliest secrets…


Eighteen-year-old Maggie Darlington has turned into an entirely different person. The once spirited teen is now passive and reserved. A change Lord and Lady Darlington can’t help but be grateful for.

It’s 1912, and the Darlingtons of Wentworth Hall have more than just the extensive grounds to maintain. As one of Britain’s most elite families, they need to keep up appearances that things are as they have always been… even as their carefully constructed façade rapidly comes undone.

Maggie has a secret. And she’s not the only one… the handsome groom Michael, the beautiful new French nanny Therese, the Darlingtons’ teenage houseguests Teddy and Jessica, and even Maggie’s younger sister Lila are all hiding something. Passion, betrayal, heartache, and whispered declarations of love take place under the Darlingtons’ massive roof. And one of these secrets has the power to ruin the Darlingtons forever.

When scandalous satires start appearing in the newspaper with details that closely mirror the lives of the Darlingtons, everyone is looking over their shoulder, worrying their scandal will be next. Because at Wentworth Hall, nothing stays secret for long.(Synopsis provided by goodreads)



I really enjoyed myself while I was reading this book. I've always been fascinated by Edwardian England. The only thing bumping this down from 5 stars to 4 and a half was the fact that the "secrets" that were held in Wentworth Hall I found way too predictable. However, it didn't diminish my like of the story too much. Just a pinch. I figured out what Therese was hiding very early on and I figured out what Maggie was hiding fairly quickly as well.
I really liked Nora's character she was such a gossip and such fun too! Teddy and Jessica didn't have as much page time as I would have expected but they were good fun as well.
I really liked Wesley and his friend Ian when they arrive in the story. Lord and Lady Darlington were less likable, but I don't think we are meant to like them.
I'm not sure if this is a series or a stand alone. I hope it's a series, I really enjoyed it and the way ended left me wanting to know what happened to Wesley, Nora, Therese, Lila and the others. The epilogue only tells us what happened to Maggie in any detail. We get a clip of Lila, Ian and Wesley but nothing of the others.
If you like books about the upper-crust then this is a must read for you. I would highly recommend this book to fans of Edwardian era books as well. 




So say we all!

1 comment:

Braine @ Talk Supe said...

This is in my TBR and I hope I get to read it soon!

Talk Supe