Monday, May 7, 2012

The Physick book of Deliverance Dane


                                                         


  • Hardcover: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Voice (June 9, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1401340903
  • Author: Katherine Howe
  • Cover art: I like the old timey feel.
  • Over all rating: *** out of 5 stars
  • Obtained: Borrowed from a friend



The Physick book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews

Harvard graduate student Connie Goodwin needs to spend her summer doing research for her doctoral dissertation. But when her mother asks her to handle the sale of Connie’s grandmother’s abandoned home near Salem, she can’t refuse. As she is drawn deeper into the mysteries of the family house, Connie discovers an ancient key within a seventeenth-century Bible. The key contains a yellowing fragment of parchment with a name written upon it: Deliverance Dane. This discovery launches Connie on a quest—to find out who this woman was and to unearth a rare artifact of singular power: a physick book, its pages a secret repository for lost knowledge.

As the pieces of Deliverance’s harrowing story begin to fall into place, Connie is haunted by visions of the long-ago witch trials, and she begins to fear that she is more tied to Salem’s dark past than she could have ever imagined.(Synopsis provided by goodreads)



After reading the synopsis of this book I wanted to read it. The story line it's self was good, but for me the writing style fell flat. There were times when it was incredibly slow.  I found Liz to be obnoxious. I  thought that Grace was the most  interesting character in the book. Connie bugged me at times, like really bugged me. I had a lot of issues with this one. Mainly in the writing style and in Connie herself. However, I liked the story itself. 


The whole premise and idea was original. I like anything having to do with the Salem Witch Trials. Howe's description of the house was really good. I felt like I was there. I just wish the book was about 100 pages shorter then it was and Connie was more mature and Liz wasn't even in the book.



So say we all!

1 comment:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

i've had this book for a long time but haven't had a chance to read it. i agree it does seem long!