Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Selection







  • Hardcover: 336 pages
  • Publisher: HarperTeen (April 24, 2012)
  • ISBN-10: 0062059939
  • Author:Kiera Cass
  • Cover art: I love it I want the dress!
  • Overall rating: ***** out of 5 stars
  • Obtained: I won an ARC copy from Laci. Thank you!








The Selection by Kiera Cass
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)



Wow! I absolutely loved this book! It's such a fun and light hearted read. I must say though that the only similarity it has to The Hunger Games is the lottery aspect. Aside from that, the two are completely different beasts.

I really liked America's character, she was out spoken and very assertive.  I was glad to see another novel with such a strong female lead. Maxon (the Prince) was also a wonderful new-comer to the book world. I really liked his cheeky side and how candidly he spoke with America.


Aspen on the other hand, I have a love hate thing going on with him, that's all I'm going to say to avoid spoilers. I really like the premise of this book and the writing style was fun. 


I had a feeling how the book would end when I was reading it, but the cliff hanger ending still had me saying "That's it? What happens next?"


If you like the show "The Bachelor" and are looking for a fun, easy, light read. Then pick this one up and give it a try! 




So say we all!

3 comments:

RJ @ RJ Does Books! said...

Fantastic review! Can't wait to read this one when it gets here next week! :D

Moirae(thefates) book reviews said...

You have to RJ! It's amazing, I bet you'll love it!

Bookworm1858 said...

I really enjoyed this book too and I loved Maxon! He was nice. However I am very anti-Aspen-he was such a jerk to America and I was so pissed when he crept back into her life.