Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lies Beneath







                                                            

  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (June 12, 2012)
  • ISBN-10: 0385742010
  • Author: Anne Greenwood Brown
  • Cover Art: I like it.
  • Overall rating: ** 1/2 out of 5 stars
  • Obtained: From the publisher in exchange for a review.

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)


My first thought when I heard about this book, was holy cow awesome! My feeling of glee was depleted rather quickly. It wasn't at all what I was hoping for. I wanted to know more about the mermaids in this novel. What was their history? Why are they the way they are? What's the bottom line?


My main issue was the stalking. Yes, stalking. In YA there seems to be a lot of it. There are also books where it seems like stalking, but it isn't. When the stalker is hiding, and watching your every move it's stalking. It's not sweet, it's not romantic, it's illegal all over. 
Now, I'm the type of girl where I don't want to be stalked, call me crazy, but yeah stalking is a major turn off. 


The fact that these mermaids "feed" by zapping humans of emotions felt a lot like dementors in Harry Potter.  I'm fine with similar things in books, because lets be honest any and all paranormal books have similarities. That's fine, but originality goes a long way.


It was very predictable to me and there were just too many creepy quotes in the book. Not creepy in the Stephen King holy-cow-that-is-creepy-I-want-to-sleep-with-the-lights-on way but the eww-what-a- creepy- person sort of way.


The writing style apart from the creepy quotes wasn't bad. But it also wasn't a book I couldn't put down. 


For me this book is one I'll forget in a month or so and I don't think I'll be continuing the series. 
Please don't let my opinion alone determine if you're going to read it or not, check out some more favorable reviews as well.


So say we all!

No comments: