Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Hunger Games



  • Paperback: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Scholastic Press; Reprint edition (July 3, 2010)
  • ISBN-10: 0439023521
  • Author: Suzanne Collins
  • Cover art: It's okay.
  • Overall rating: ***** out of 5 stars
  • Obtained: This was a RAK gift thank you!










The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)


I know I'm late to the game on this one. (Pun intended) I moved this up on my TBR pile after seeing the movie, normally I read the book first but hey I didn't this time. I really liked this book. The author did a fantastic job in world building and how desperate Panem really is.


Katniss is a fantastic character, she really holds her own and is one of the top kick ass characters I have read. I don't like Peeta very much, he really bugged me, I can't quite figure out why though. (I know a lot of people will hate me for saying that.)


This book is good, but when you think about it, the concept of the Games is seriously screwed up. I do like though that Collins told us why the Games are held and she shows why the Capitol loves the Games and the differences between the Capitol and most of the Districts. 


There was very little dialog in the book it's self mostly it's Katniss in her own head and how she as the narrator is feeling, but I think that is what made the book so good and so powerful.  I can't wait to read the next two.

I do think it is a book that parents need to read themselves if they have a younger child to decide if it's okay for their kid as it is intense. 


As for book to movie, I think they did a fantastic job and the complaints are really just people being nitpicky. 




So say we all!

No comments: