Monday, March 5, 2012

Lost Voices RE-POST






Welcome to day 5 of Mermaid week!

THIS IS A RE-POST OF MY PREVIOUS REVIEW.


The Lost Voices by Sarah Porter
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

This is a debut novel about mermaids. I love all things mermaids! The main character Luce becomes a mermaid after falling into the cold icy ocean in Alaska. Luce is sent to live with her uncle who is a drunk after her father is lost at sea.

All of the mermaid’s in this book became mermaids after they were betrayed by a man in their lives, in Luce’s case, it was her uncle.
However, there is a twist with the mermaids in this book, they act more like sirens then mermaids. Their main lot in life is to murder sailors with their songs.

Luce is a strong character with a heart breaking story. Her raw emotion is shown through out the book. The author has created a very strong voice with this character. I felt that Luce’s feelings were real and the way they came across was amazingly well done.

The other mermaids in this book are very rude, which reflects how a lot of teen girls are. I felt that all of the characters were very strong and all of the relationships were believable.

That being said, there were times when I felt like there was something missing, like a chapter was missing from the book or something similar.

Over all, I would say this is a very dark book. But hauntingly beautiful. I wish I could give it more stars, I do. But when I was left feeling like something was missing, it knocked it down from a four star to a three star.
I would read this again and I do want to buy a copy when it is available. If you like mermaid books, with a twist and dark tales, I would say give it a try.

Overall rating:
*** 3 out of 5 stars.

Cover art:

The cover art is simply beautiful. Can I get a poster?

Obtained:

I was given a copy by the publisher via netgalley Thank you! 


And today's painting:



The Siren 
By John William Waterhouse
 
So say we all!

No comments: