Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Enchanted




  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books (May 8, 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0547645708
  • Author:Alethea Kontis
  • Cover art: I really like the detail on the cover.
  • Over all rating: **** out of 5 stars
  • Obtained: From the publisher Thank you!








Enchanted by Althea Kontis

Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews

It isn't easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.

The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past - and hers? (Synopsis provided by goodreads)



I love fairy tale re-tellings, if they are good. This was adorable. I loved every page of this book. Sunday was such a fun character, I had a great time reading her story. I thought that the touch of being able to read Sunday's stories with in this book was fantastic!


This is a re-telling of the frog princess which is a story I hadn't thought about since I was knee high to a duck, but when I saw the cover and read the synopsis I knew I had to get my hands on this book as soon as I could.  


This re-telling was sweet, fun and funny. Rumbold and Sunday practically jumped off the pages of this book. They made me nostalgic for my childhood, I really wish there were more books out there that were like that, good fairy tale re-tellings, or fairy tale re-tellings in general.


One thing that really stood out was how other fairy tales from childhood make cameo appearances in this book. We see a little bit of Princess and the pea, Jack and the bean stalk and Rumplestiltskin. I've never read a re-telling that touches on so many other fairy tales.


If you like re-tellings I would highly recommend this book! Pre-Order your copy now.


So say we all!

2 comments:

Lilly @ (LillysBookIsland) said...

AWESOME review! I also like fairy tale re-telling stories :D Glad you like it.

Bookworm1858 said...

I am so sure I will love this book as I am a huge fan of fairy-tale retellings-it sounds right up my alley!