Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

  • Hardcover: 464 pages
  • Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (September 27, 2011)
  • ISBN-10: 1442421762
  • Author: Michelle Hodkin
  • Overall rating ****1/2 out of 5 stars
  • Cover art: Best YA cover of 2011.
  • Obtained: My personal book shelf.









Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)

I was really excited to get my hands on this highly coveted YA title. I was expecting an amazing read and Hodkin didn't disappoint. I saw a lot of raves with this title and I must say most of them were spot on.

My only "issue" with this book is I felt like there was a lot of needless padding to it. Some of the scenes that I read and thought were pointless, became very important by time the book was over, so it's possible that the other scenes that still seem "pointless" will come to be important by the time book 2 is out.

I really liked the spookyness of this book and there were many surprises that I never saw coming the end was especially shocking and the way it ended kinda bugged me because now I have to wait to find out what happens to Mara and company!

What I really enjoyed was the relationship between Mara and Noah wasn't a typical YA love-at-first-sight kind, it progressed throughout the story. The dialog in the book was small, that is to say there wasn't loads, a lot of the information we got was through Mara's internal thoughts not the characters telling each other. Hodkin is a shower not a teller.

After reading this book I still have a lot of questions one of the biggest still is the promo question "Who is Mara Dyer?" after reading this book I do wonder who is she? Who is she really?

I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone looking for a YA novel that has a bit of spook, a bit of mystery and a bit of romance. 


 

5 comments:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

sounds like a great read! thanks for stopping by and entering the contest! i'm a new follower!

Aik said...

This book is on my wish list. I hope I get to read it someday. Thanks for your honest review!

Audris said...

I'm glad you loved it! It's on my shelf right now so I'm totally looking forward to picking it up now :)

Chey said...

I want this book so bad! Your review makes me want to go buy it, and if it weren't for the lack of money, I would! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to read it one day. :D

Michelle @ The True Book Addict said...

I've been wondering about this one. You make it sound worth a read. Great review!

Thanks for joining us for Frightful Fall Reviewers!