Thursday, October 13, 2011

The name of the star

Hardcover: 384 pages.
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile (September 29, 2011.)
ISBN-10: 0399256601.
Author:Maureen Johnson.
Cover art: I really like the creep factor of this cover.
Overall rating: **** out of 5 stars
Obtained: My personal book shelf











The Name of the star by Maureen Johnson
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews
The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)

I have always been interested in the Ripper case. For some reason it has always fascinated me how to this day, the police still don't know who was responsible the sheer terror of that is fascinating. When I first heard about this book, I rushed out and pre-ordered it, I waited for the release date and dove in. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!
What I really liked was how Johnson gives her readers actual facts of the original Ripper case. She drops tid bits of real information and she also drops cultural information and slang of the English people. I really like books where you can learn something new.
I really liked Rory's character, she was a delight to read and walk through London with during the terror of the copy cat killings. I enjoyed her interactions with the other characters and her love interest felt genuine to me.
Boo, was the only character that bugged me, she seemed a little too chipper and her reactions didn't always feel true.
I really liked Jo, the shade they meet she was neat and I wish she would have been in the story a bit more, I would love to know more about her time in WWII as one of the women in war.
Over all I would recommend this book to anyone, especially if you like ghosts in your books or the Ripper case. I am looking forward to the second book in the series and what happens next.



2 comments:

Lori said...

I loved this book so much! Boo annoyed me a little too, but I liked her by the end of the book thankfully.

Michelle @ The True Book Addict said...

I have always been fascinated by Jack the Ripper as well so any novel including him will make it on my TBR/wishlist! Great review...you make it sound even more worth reading!