Thursday, October 20, 2011

Crank mini review

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Paperback: 544 pages
  • Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books; Original edition (October 5, 2004)
  • ISBN-10: 0689865198
  • Author: Ellen Hopkins
  • Cover Art: I don't like plain covers very much.
  • Overall rating **** out of 5 stars.
  • Obtained: Won, thank you Julie!








Kristina Georgia Snow is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. But on a trip to visit her absentee father, Kristina disappears and Bree takes her place. Bree is the exact opposite of Kristina -- she's fearless. Through a boy, Bree meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild, ecstatic ride turns into a struggle through hell for her mind, her soul -- her life. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)

I had seen so many over the moon reviews of this book, I could not wait to get my hands on it. For me it was good, it was better then okay, but not wonderful. It was a quick read, mostly because it was written in verse.  The patterns of the verse were creative, but after page 400, it got a little confusing.
I liked the idea of Kristina/Bree having different thoughts on the same page that was neat.
The book like most "issue" books does have a strong message, it could be interpreted as being "heavy Handed". I think that it is all in how the reader comes to the book and they choose to see it.

It is a good read, but I think it should be kept for older teens, I wouldn't let a 13 year old read it for example. But that is where the parent needs to make that call for their child.



2 comments:

Kristan said...

I've actually never read a book in verse before (at least not one that wasn't assigned reading). I'm afraid I might get too lost and not fully appreciate the beauty that went into constructing a story this way. Maybe I'll take a risk and let Crank be the first one for me!

Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves
P.S. Come check out my blog's first giveaway here

Catwomanthegeek said...

I've just read a book in verse for he first time for my library book club and I was surprised by how easy it was to read. I'm going to keep an eye out for this book!

thanks and great review.