Monday, July 11, 2011

Tris and Izzie (Early Review)



  • Hardcover: 272 pages
  • Publisher: EgmontUSA (October 11, 2011)
  • Overall rating *** 3 out of 5 stars
  • Cover art I like the boat and the flowers
  • Obtained From the publisher for review via Netgalley









Tris and Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews

A modern retelling of the German fairytale "Tristan and Isolde", Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school. (Synopsis provided by good reads)

Where to begin, for me this book was just okay. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. My biggest problem was with Izzie, to me she seemed a lot younger then I think she was meant to, I felt she was too whinny and at times, annoying. 
Tristan, was a little bit better, he seemed his age and his dialouge was strong, I felt at times that the relationship with him and Izzie was forced. (Even with the love potion.) 
What I did like was the writing, I thought that the writing was strong and all of the characters had their own personality. I liked Mark's character, I think he was the most enjoyable for me. 
Even though this book was not my favorite, the strength in the writing and the fact that all of the characters knew who they were and all had a strong sense of who they were, is why this book went from 2 1/2 stars to 3.
If you are a fan of the fairy tale or a fan or re-tellings in general, I would say go ahead and give this one a try, maybe check it out from the library or wait for the paperback version.

No comments: