Friday, July 22, 2011

Mishap and Mayhem




  • Paperback: 294 pages
  • Publisher: CreateSpace (April 3, 2011)
  • Author: M.M. Shelley
  • Overall rating: ****1/2  4 1/2 out of 5 stars
  • Cover art: This is one of my favorites for the year beautiful cover art.
  • Obtained: e-copy sent for review and blog tour.






Mishap and Mayhem by M.M Shelley
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.
For centuries magical beings have hidden in the darkness, waiting. Some good, some evil. A battle is brewing, and only twins, Grasiella and Tatiana, have the power to stop it. It’s the summer of the year 2045, and sixteen year old Grasiella, along with her twin sister, Tatiana plan to visit their grandmother in Hawaii. They have no idea that when they arrive on the island of Kauai, they are about to be drawn into a secret, the secret, of their family’s dark origins and magical powers. On the first day of their arrival, their grandmother is accused of a horrible crime involving a faerie. Whispers have spread throughout the islands about the disappearance of a faerie named Sita Knook and her connection to a mysterious group known only as the Cinerians. Before long, Grasiella and Tatiana are doing battle with ancient races and magical beings. All the while trying to retrieve an ancient stone of power and impress a couple of local surfers, Kana’i and Kye, cousins who have some pretty exciting family secrets of their own. It’s pretty serious stuff for two girls who were planning to spend the summer at the beach getting tans, but then that’s the trouble with secrets, sometimes they just don't stay buried. (Synopsis provided by goodreads.)


From the moment I read the prologue, this book stuck with me. I loved it, it had a rare prologue that made me go "Holy cow what is going on?!" This book is set on the island of Kauai (Which sounds beautiful!) I loved each page of this book. 
My only "issue" with it is from time to time, I would get a little bit confused and have to look back. Aside from the few moments of confusion, I enjoyed the book greatly, the confusion is the only thing that knocked it down to 4.5 stars from 5. However, the ending seems to suggest a sequel, so perhaps my moments of confusion will be resolved in book 2. 
I found the twins to be believable and I loved the idea of humans making faeries use their magic for themselves. I've never seen that before in a book and I found it original and refreshing. 
The story was very fast paced and there were a few times, I laughed out loud. I highly recommend this book.
Don't forget to check out the guest post we have today with M.M Shelley herself.

No comments: