Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Magnolia League

  • Hardcover: 368 pages
  • Publisher: Poppy (May 3, 2011)
  • Author Katie Crouch
  • Overall rating ***1/2  3 1/2 out of 5 stars
  • Cover art Stunning
  • Obtained My personal book shelf











 The Magnolia League by Katie Crouch
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews

After the death of her free-spirited mother, sixteen-year-old Alex Lee must leave her home in northern California to live with her wealthy grandmother in Savannah, Georgia. By birth, Alex is a rightful, if unwilling, member of the Magnolia League, Savannah's long-standing debutante society. She quickly discovers that the Magnolias have made a pact with a legendary hoodoo family, the Buzzards. The Magnolias enjoy youth, beauty and power. But at what price?

As in her popular adult novels, Crouch's poignant and humorous voice shines in this seductively atmospheric story about girls growing up in a magical Southern city. (Synopsis provided by goodreads.)

When I first heard about this book, I was immediately interested in it. I finished it fairly fast. Over all, I liked the book, but my biggest issue with the book is the pacing. It wasn't until over half way through the book (Past page 200) that we learned how and why the Magnolia League was formed. We know from the synopsis that there is a pact, I just wish we would have learned about the pact earlier in the book then we did. After we learn about the pact, the book flies by. 

Once the dots start to be connected, I enjoyed the book more. I liked the transformation Alex undergoes in the book and the reason it happens.

I felt that the characters were real and their interactions with one another felt real, the dialogue was strong as well. 
With a sudden ending after a huge bombshell is dropped, I look forward to the next book.

No comments: