Monday, July 18, 2011

Instructions for a broken heart




  • Paperback: 304 pages
  • Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire (May 1, 2011)
  • Author: Kim Culbertson
  • Overall rating: *** 3 out of 5 stars
  • Cover art: I love the cover art.
  • Obtained: My personal bookshelf.








 Instructions for a broken heart by Kim Culbertson
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews

Three days before her drama club's trip to Italy, Jessa Gardner discovers her boyfriend in the costume barn with another girl. Jessa is left with a care package from her best friend titled "Top Twenty Reasons He's a Slimy Jerk Bastard," instructing her to do one un-Jessa-like thing each day of the trip. At turns hilarious and heartwrenching, Instructions for a Broken Heart paints a magical Italy in which Jessa learns she must figure out life-and romance-for herself. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)


I first heard about this book on another book blog, it sounded like a lot of fun. I found Jessa to be a very fun and very believable character. The different instructions that her friend had her do ranged from the simple to the outrageous. However they were all fun.
This book was a very fast light fun read a good beach read. The interactions between all of the characters felt real and the dialog was witty. 
I loved the conversation towards the end of the book that Jessa has with Natalie. The book had a wonderful ending and I enjoyed the whole thing.
I had an issue with an inappropriate interaction with Jessa and one of her teachers. But Culbertson never made it seem okay, she made it very clear that it was inappropriate, so that made me feel a little bit better about it.
The images of Italy were very vivid and made me want to visit. I'd read this one again.

No comments: