Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Witches of East End

Witches of East End by Melissa de la cruz
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews

The three Beauchamp women— Joanna and her daughters Freya and Ingrid— live in North Hampton, out on the tip of Long Island. Their beautiful, mist-shrouded town seems almost stuck in time, and all three women lead seemingly quiet, uneventful existences. But they are harboring a mighty secret— they are powerful witches banned from using their magic. Joanna can resurrect people from the dead and heal the most serious of injuries. Ingrid, her bookish daughter, has the ability to predict the future and weave knots that can solve anything from infertility to infidelity. And finally, there’ s Freya, the wild child, who has a charm or a potion that can cure most any heartache.
For centuries, all three women have been forced to suppress their abilities. But then Freya, who is about to get married to the wealthy and mysterious Bran Gardiner, finds that her increasingly complicated romantic life makes it more difficult than ever to hide her secret. Soon Ingrid and Joanna confront similar dilemmas, and the Beauchamp women realize they can no longer conceal their true selves. They unearth their wands from the attic, dust off their broomsticks, and begin casting spells on the townspeople. It all seems like a bit of good-natured, innocent magic, but then mysterious, violent attacks begin to plague the town. When a young girl disappears over the Fourth of July weekend, they realize it’ s time to uncover who and what dark forces are working against them. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)
This is the authors first adult novel.

When I got this book I was excited as I love stories with witches, I was also leery. I was afraid this would be a re0telling of Updikes' Witches of Eastwick, however I was pleased to see that that was not the case.
I found this to be a fun novel, while the first few chapters are slow, once the magic begins the novel never stops, I was able was unable to put it down! There are some aspects of the novel involving Freya that bothered me, however they are explained at the end of the novel and now that I know the reasons for the aspects I have no issues with them and I think in the end Freya's character was redeemed.

I really liked Ingrid's character, I found her to be the quiet but fun one, and Joanna's character I just felt sorry for. All three of the women were strong characters and though this is the first of De le cruz's works I have read I look forward to reading more of here books.

I found all the characters to be believeable and I loved the interactions they had with one another. I also enjpyed how it touched on the Salem witch trials.

This is a fun novel that is for adults and it is fast paced with a surprise ending I never saw coming. I would say this is a fun beach read.

Over all rating **** 4 out of 5 stars

Cover art I love the cover art especially the eye very cool!

Obtained I received a copy from the publisher via librarything.




No comments: