Monday, June 27, 2011

Falling for Hamlet (Early Review)


Falling for Hamlet by Michelle Ray
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.


 THIS IS A 2011 DEBUT!!!

Meet Ophelia: a blonde, beautiful high-school senior and long-time girlfriend of Prince Hamlet of Denmark. Her life is dominated not only by her boyfriend's fame and his overbearing family, but also by the paparazzi who hound them wherever they go. As the devastatingly handsome Hamlet spirals into madness after the mysterious death of his father, the King, Ophelia rides out his crazy roller coaster life, and lives to tell about it. In live television interviews, of course.
Passion, romance, drama, humor, and tragedy intertwine in this compulsively readable debut novel, told by a strong-willed, modern-day Ophelia. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)

First off let me say that Hamlet is my favorite work by Shakespeare.
I LOVED this re-telling. Ray's Ophelia is a fun witty coffee obsessed character.  I loved being able to see the story through her eyes and see how she delt with everything that was going on. I never saw Hamlet as a sympathetic character in the original play, but Ray portrays him as one. Seeing how her Hamlet deals with the murder of the king, the remarriage of his mother and his relationship with Ophelia was truly enjoyable.
The twist with having Ophelia on a talk show telling her version of the events was interesting I loved how Ray told the story and the way her version of the classic characters came to life on the page.  I would love to hang out with her characters all of them had a new fresh life about them.

I really liked how Ray incorporated some scenes and lines from the original play, I was particularly interested to see how she would incorporate Hamlets famous "To be or not be." I was so excited to see that also included Hamlet telling Ophelia to be a nun and Ophelia's speech when she goes crazy about flowers and the line 'Rosemary that's for remembrance'. It was a very cool way that they were included. I absolutely loved the whole story and I look forward to more of Ray's works, I really hope she writes more re-tellings of Shakespeare. 

This is one of my favorite reads this year!

Overall rating ***** 5 out of 5 stars 
Cover art Love the cover art the black and white contrasted by the gold and red of the throne is awesome. 
Obtained: My personal book shelf. (Received my pre-order a few weeks early)

1 comment:

Evie said...

Fantastic review! You totally made me want to read this book asap! :) I love Shakespear retellings, too, and this one sounds really awesome!
Can't wait to read it!

Thanks for stopping by my blog <3