Monday, May 2, 2011

Night Elie Wiesel

The first review in honor of Holocaust Remembrance week.











Night A terrifying account of the Nazi death camp horror that turns a young Jewish boy into an agonized witness to the death of his family...the death of his innocence...and the death of his God. Penetrating and powerful, as personal as The Diary Of Anne Frank, Night awakens the shocking memory of evil at its absolute and carries with it the unforgettable message that this horror must never be allowed to happen again. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)






The first time I read this book, I was 16. I found it to be one of the most profound and moving books I had and have ever read.
Night is also probably the hardest book I have ever read. The raw emotion that Wiesel shows in his book is unlike anything I have ever found. His story is a sad one, sad, doesn't even convey just how sad it is. 
To see how Wiesel has now gone on a life long campaign for peace is simply amazing. He won the Nobel Prize for Peace in 1986. 
He lived through the camps, sadly 6 million others did not. 
I believe that everyone should read this book. Bear in mind it is very hard to read, but to see what he went through and to see how he has dedicated his life to peace, is a reminder of how one person can make a difference.
Wiesel is truly and inspiration.

2 comments:

IntrovertedJen said...

Excellent review. I admire him for the work he has done for peace throughout his life. Thanks for participating this week.

Anna said...

This book blew me away when I read it last year. Such an important book. I hope it's okay to link to your post on War Through the Generations.