Saturday, May 28, 2011

Negative reviews

I'd like to take a moment and start a dialog. Negative reviews. Now, I think that most people are tactful when they have a negative review, they politely state what they didn't like and why they didn't like it followed by what they liked or links to positive reviews.
Recently, I have stumbled across a few bloggers that always have negative reviews. Which is fine, but instead of being tactful, they personally attack the authors, personally, I don't think that is ever appropriate. For example I saw a review where they suggested bodily harm to the author instead of allowing the author to ever write again.
Now, I understand there are going to be books that bloggers will not like, I've read some myself, but you don't have to be rude and personally attack anyone. Now, when people have negative reviews that are rude, I have found that a sad truth seems to be that they get high praise for it. People seem to thrive off of the negativity it's terrible. Why is it that today people seem to feed off of negativity? It all feels very juvenile. Why can't people be polite and tactful when saying why they didn't like a certain book? It also baffles me on why someone will read 4 and 5 books by the same author and have negative reviews for all of them. I mean, if you read 2 books by an author and didn't like either of them, wouldn't you stop reading that author? Why be rude? Just to make yourself feel better? It's the age old thing, tearing others down to make yourself feel better. By being rude, you're giving all bloggers a bad name.

What do you all think?

3 comments:

*Andye* said...

I agree with this. I write negative reviews sometimes, but I always try to be respectful. There have been a few times that I felt that the author's political statements in the book were over the top, though, and in that case, I do think it's a reflection on the author, not necessarily the writing. The writing can be amazing, but something they say politically can really bother me, or the way some try to sneak their political views in, and try to make you feel stupid for disagreeing. Still, I'm not hateful to the author, I just state that it upset me, or bothered me, or whatever. We actually had one of our teen reviewers (jokingly) say something bad about an author once, trying to be funny, but we made them take it down, because it came across mean.

Great post!

Moirae(thefates) book reviews said...

Exactly! So glad I'm not the only one that thinks so.

J.P. said...

I totally agree with you!! There are people out there, for whatever reason, that get off on being negative and plan and simple mean towards others. I personally believe as a blogger that there should be nothing but constructive reviews and comments given. I as well have read a few books that when I finished I said to myself "well that was a waste" but I have not reviewed any. Sometimes I try to find what i feel the author did that was good instead of focusing on the bad. But over all I agree with you, what's with being mean and negative? If you don't like it don't review it or don't continue to read books from that author. I think some people out there think they have a little gimmick going so they do it..who knows...