Saturday, March 19, 2011

Like Mandarin


Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

It's hard finding beauty in the badlands of Washokey, Wyoming, but 14-year-old Grace Carpenter knows it's not her mother's pageant obsessions, or the cowboy dances adored by her small-town classmates. True beauty is wild-girl Mandarin Ramey: 17, shameless and utterly carefree. Grace would give anything to be like Mandarin. When they're united for a project, they form an unlikely, explosive friendship, packed with nights spent skinny-dipping in the canal, liberating the town's animal-head trophies, and searching for someplace magic. Grace plays along when Mandarin suggests they run away together. Blame it on the crazy-making wildwinds plaguing their Badlands town. Because all too soon, Grace discovers Mandarin's unique beauty hides a girl who's troubled, broken, and even dangerous. And no matter how hard Grace fights to keep the magic, no friendship can withstand betrayal. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)

This is a debut novel! I really enjoyed this book. I found it to be a fast read but also a read that makes you think. I saw a vlog with Kirsten Hubbard who described her book as dealing with heavy topics but also being light-hearted. I think that is probably the best way to describe it.

The book does deal with heavy topics and Hubbard does allude to some difficult things such as rape (At least that is how I interpreted a scene towards the start of the book)
I really liked the character of Mandarin and how she is care-free one moment, but can get really angry the next.

I was a teenage girl at one point and I think Hubbard did an awesome job in capturing the intensity and the frailness of friendships between females, and teen females to be more precise.

I found Grace’s mother to be self-centered and to blame Grace for a lot. Her little sister I found to be adorable.

The book had a lot of parts that will make you smile and parts that make you stop and think. There were also some parts that will make your heart ache for the characters. I loved the book and I look forward to Hubbard’s future works.

Overall rating ***** 5 out of 5 stars

Cover art: I like the simplicity of it.

Obtained: Personal book shelf.

No comments: