Thursday, March 3, 2011

Halo

 
 
Halo by Alexandria Adornetto

Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

Three angels- Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human- are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They must work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their wings, all the while avoiding all human attachments.
Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and neither of them is able to resist the attraction between them. Gabriel and Ivy do everything in their power to intervene, but the bond between Xavier and Bethany seems too strong.
The angel’s mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her? (Synopsis provided by goodreads)

This one has been sitting in my TBR pile for a few months. I finally got the chance to read it. I had heard mixed reviews from a variety of bloggers ranging from “Best book of the year” to “Worst book ever.”
Personally, I fall in the middle. It wasn’t the best book I have read, but it’s also not the worse. I did enjoy it, and while there were some very saccharine and sophomoric moments, I attributed it to the author’s age. It’s impressive that she has more then one book published at the age of 18. Halo marked her US debut.
I really like the idea of angels on earth no matter if is a novel with fallen angels or angels sent to earth to help. I do think that Adornetto has promise as an author and I do look forward to reading her other books in this series, I hope that her books that are only published in Australia her home country will be released in the US.
I found Gabriel and Ivy to be my favorite characters. I do wish we got to see more of them. Bethany, seemed very young, but it was done well and I didn’t dislike her. I found this to be a very fast read, it did have it’s slow moments, and parts seemed to me to be longwinded or unnecessary.
Molly made me laugh; I really liked her personality and how she bounced from one topic to another in the same breath. She reminded me of some of my friends I went to high school with.
The ending was a little cheesey and I was expecting more, but because of something one of the characters told Bethany, it made sense. I do hope that books 2 and 3 will have a more climatic ending. Book 2 will be called Hades and is due out August 28 2011 book 3 will be called Heavenly and is due out in 2012.

Overall rating:
***1/2 3 ½ out of 5 stars
Cover art:
Beautiful! One of the best covers of 2010
Obtained:
My personal bookshelves.

2 comments:

LindsayWrites said...

new follower! love the blog and im excited to read more! just b/c this book has such a gorgeous cover, i'm going to read it!

follow me?!

http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

J.P. said...

I read this book last year and I felt the same way about it. It was the cover that made me pick it up and buy it. I thought the story was sweet, like you said not that amazing but not that bad either. I am looking forward to the next books to see where the story goes.