Saturday, March 12, 2011

The goddess test



The Goddess Test by Amiee Carter
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews



Every girl who has taken the test has died.
Now it's Kate's turn.
It's always been just Kate and her mom--and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.  (Synopsis provided by goodreads)

I wanted to like this book more then I did. I love the Greek Myths, but I felt that this was way too far from the original myths. I have seen other people call it "PC" and I have to agree with it. I didn't find the characters believable. I felt that the myths have been ripped apart which was a huge disappointment to me. The Greek gods were a far cry from how they were portrayed in this novel. The Greek gods are not who they are in the original mythology. They were moral in this book now, there is nothing wrong with morals, but when you change the Greek gods, I have a problem with that.

What I did like was I thought the writing style itself was strong. Carter is a good story teller, I just didn't like this book very much. Kate is a great original character and I did like the fact that it wasn't a love at first sight book.  I would read another novel by Carter, just not one like this one.

Overall rating: ** 2 out of 5 stars

Coverart: I LOVE the Greek keys!

Obtained: I got a copy via Netgalley thank you.

No comments: