Friday, February 25, 2011

The Vespertine




The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews

It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him. When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia’s world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause.(Synopsis provided by goodreads)
I really wanted to like this book. The writing was good the dialog was good the concept was good. Normally I enjoy historical settings in novels, but for me, I found myself bored with this book.  The descriptions were vivid and the story was imaginative. The characters were strong, I really enjoyed Amelia and Nathaniel. Lizzy bothered me, she just seemed not to care as much about Amelia as she should have at least for me, she came across like she was faking being kind to Amelia. This is probably just me and the way I read it as so far in all the reviews I read before getting the book myself, I haven’t seen anyone else with the opinion. I really wish I could have enjoyed it more.
I’m not sure, what it was about it that was dull for me, but it was. I have seen many positive reviews for this book and I would encourage everyone to read those before making up their mind as to weather or not they read the book.
I do plan to read this book again in the future, in hopes that I will grow to like it. There have been titles in the past that this has happened to me with and I do hope to like this book. Again, I encourage you to read other reviews and to give the book a chance, I am in the minority of not loving the book.
Overall rating:
**1/2 2 ½ stars out of 5 (I want to give it more I do!)
Cover art:
This has got to be the one of the best covers I have seen I love it!
Obtained:
I got a copy from the publisher via Netgalley Thank you.

**THIS BOOK WILL BE AVAILABLE MARCH 7 2011**

No comments: