Friday, January 21, 2011

The Red Tree







The Red Tree by Caitlin R. Kiernan reviewed by Moirae the Fates book reviews.

Sarah Crowe left Atlanta, and the remnants of a tumultuous relationship, to live alone in an old house in rural Rhode Island. Within its walls she discovers an unfinished manuscript written by the house’s former tenant—a parapsychologist obsessed with the ancient oak growing on a desolate corner of the property. And as the gnarled tree takes root in her imagination, Sarah risks her health and her sanity to unearth a revelation planted centuries ago…(Synopsis provided by goodreads.com)

This was the first book by this author I have read, I found it at my local book store and after reading the synopsis I had to get a copy.

It needs to be said this book is not for everyone, if you don't like books that have lesbian relationships then this book is not for you. Or if you are easily offended by cursing.

Over all, I liked the book. I did get a bit irritated with the author constantly telling the reader that Sarah is a lesbian. I think it only needed to be said once, not in every chapter. Aside from that, It was a really interesting book. I was intrigued by the premise of the novel and I think that Kiernan did an amazing job in her execution of this novel.

The book a had a few things that I found to be predictable, however, the end, I never saw coming. It was a huge twist! I really enjoy books that have a huge twist at the end that the reader never sees coming.
I found Sarah's character to be a bit rough, but I liked her. She is very head strong and doesn't take crap from anyone, which I liked.

The dialogue was good and I thought it really allowed you to see how each of the characters thought and who they really were.

Over all rating:
**** 4 out of 5 stars

Cover art:
I really like the cover art, very haunting.

Obtained:
My personal book shelf.

No comments: