Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Kensei





The Kensei by Jon F. Merz
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

Meet Lawson. A cynical, wise-cracking vampire charged with protecting the Balance between vampires and humans, he is part cop, part spy, and part commando — James Bond with fangs. Lawson mixes shrewd cunning with unmatched lethality to get his job done. He tries his best to dismantle conspiracies, dispatch bad guys, and live long enough to get home. In The Kensei, a battle-weary Lawson heads to Japan for a little rest and some advanced ninja training. But he no sooner steps off the plane than lands in the midst of a Yakuza turf war orchestrated by a shadowy figure known as the Kensei. With the help of Talya, a former KGB-assassin, Lawson must put a stop to the Kensei’s organ trafficking networks, prevent the creation of an army of vampire-human hybrids, and save his own skin in the process.
(Synopsis provided by goodreads.com)

 This is the first book by Merz that I have read. Even though it is the fifth book in his series, I never felt lost. I felt like I already knew Lawson. I wanted to read the book when I heard it described as James Bond meets True Blood meets Kill Bill. Who ever came up with that description is a pure genius! After reading the book, I can attest that that is exactly what this book is and then some!


This book is full of colorful characters and witty dialog, the way Merz describes Japan is amazing. It's such a beautifully written story and not at all flowery. Which is great! This is one of those edge-of-your-seat types of tales, one with twists and turns and an outcome that is sure to please even the most picky readers. This is easily the type of book you will want to read in one sitting, it's short enough for some people to be able to do so as well.


The Kensei is by far one of the best vampire novels I have read. I used to love reading vampire novels, the genre got too big and there were too many out there that I disliked, but this is not the case. I am in the minority, but I like this as much as I did the first 6 or so Anita Blake books, alough they are different in more ways then one.


The character development is good, there are some characters I would have liked to see more of. This is a book that is a must read and I need to go back and read the rest of the series now.


Overall rating:
**** 4 out of 5 stars


Cover art:
The cover art is unique and looks better in person.


Obtained:
I won this book from the publisher via library thing's early reviewers program. Thank you!

No comments: