Saturday, January 29, 2011

Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler


Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

"Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world."

Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she's been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power -- and the courage to battle her own inner demons?

(Synopsis provided by goodreads.com)


I first heard about this book from The Story Siren. The premise sounded really interesting to me, I have always loved fantasy and paranormal type books. In this book, Kessler's heroin Lisa is a 17 year old suffering from anorexia. The author has first hand knowledge of eating disorders and she discloses this at the end of the book. This is a very good book, I liked how it explores what what going on inside of Lisa's mind. We get to see what Kessler calls "The Thin voice" talking to Lisa throughout the book telling her of her failings and to watch her weight.

I really liked how Kessler doesn't gloss over the horrors of anorexia, she also never glamorizes it. She shows just how destructive it can be to a person. Lisa is a very interesting character, throughout the book we see her struggles and we get to see her grow. The character development is amazing. I loved every page of this book. There were a few things that I didn't see coming mainly how the book ends.

I particularly enjoyed the character of Death. He was pretty witty and had some unique abilities that are Kessler's own creations. This character was very complex and the reader is never able to fully figure him out.

The dialog in this book was really good, again the parts with Lisa talking with "The Thin Voice" are some of the most powerful in the book.
I really loved this book, I only wish it was longer, and I wish we got to know more about what happened to Lisa after the book ended. I can't say much on that without a spoiler.

Overall rating:
***** 5 out of 5 stars

Cover art:
I like the simplicity of the cover art.

What parents need to know:

There is some talk about sex, but not a lot, the book deals with some heavy issues and I would recommend ages 16 and up.

Obtained:
My personal library.

No comments: