Saturday, December 11, 2010

Enchanted Ivy Review




Enchanted Ivy by Sarah Beth Durst


Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

Enchanted Ivy, is a fun fast paced magical story. We meet Lily Carter on her way to Princeton University with her mother and Grandfather for reunions weekend. Lily wants to attend Princeton just like her Father and her Grandfather.
To get automatic acceptance into the school, Lily must pass a test. She is sent on a quest to find the Ivy Key.
This book has a much deeper plot then Lily’s quest to find the Ivy Key. The Ivy Key she must find, opens a magical gate between the human Princeton and the magical one. (Not a spoiler, the dust jacket tells us this.)
As Lily is on her quest, she runs into all types of magical creatures, shifters, elves, unicorns, dragons, talking gargoyles and much more.
I found this book, to be very fast paced and very fun. I really enjoyed it. The imagery that Durst describes is so vivid I felt like I was walking through both Princeton’s with Lily.
The dialogue was good and the characters had good development.
Lily’s Mom has memory problems, which they call brain hiccups. Lily feels responsible for taking care of her mother. Through this, we see how Lily grows as a character and how she matures. (Although she is a very mature character from the start.)
There were a few things in this book that I thought were kind of predictable, but there were far more things that I was surprised with when they were revealed. I found myself making assumptions about clues that were dropped in the book; sometimes my assumptions were right, but more often they were wrong.
The way this book ended, leaves it open for a sequel, I have no idea if there will be a sequel, I hope there will be, I’d love to see what adventures the characters have after Enchanted Ivy.

Over all rating:
I really liked this book and would recommend it to fans of Harry Potter and Hex Hall.
**** 4 out of 5 stars

What parents need to know:

The only “Sexual content” in this book is kissing.

Cover art:

I like the cover art so much; I wish I could get a poster of it.

Obtained:
I won this book from a blog contest, thanks Angela and Sarah!

1 comment:

MiaandSofia said...

Great books! Happy reading :)
Check out what's In My Mailbox

Mia @GrippedintoBooks