Monday, November 15, 2010

Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus review

Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus

Shadow Hills review by Moiraethefates book reviews.

Shadow Hills is Ms. Hopcus’ debut novel. I found it a fresh new take on the paranormal. This book has more of a magical element, but magic is even the wrong word to use. I enjoyed the book very much and I really liked the mystery element of the story.
Phe goes to Shadow Hills after the death of her sister Athena. She enrolls at the same school her sister was in to find out what caused her sister’s death. Phe has been having the same dream at the same time of night, the dreams are unnerving, by going to Shadow Hills, she hopes to solve the mystery of the dreams as well.
She finds that in Shadow Hills, there was an epidemic in the 1700’s that plagued the town, oddly she can find little to no information about it.
I found the story to be fast-paced and interesting. Hopcus’ characters are believable as well as likeable. The story arc was well thought out and the writing style was very good.
I found the relationship between Zach and Phe to be complex but believable. The dialogue wasn’t cliché and never seemed to be forced, which is wonderful; too often dialogue can seem forced.
I do hope that this book will have a sequel.

Over all rating:
**** 4 out of 5 stars
Cover art:
The cover art is simple, but lovely.

What parents need to know:
The sexual content of the book consists of kissing and one scene of sensuality. There is some language in the book, but not a lot.

Obtained:
My local library.

2 comments:

Mardel said...

I love that you included something about dialogue in your review - this is something that I obsess about and always try to mention. I think for me, that dialog will either make or break a book - I've stopped reading books where dialogue does not match characters, or plot points. :)

Moirae(thefates) book reviews said...

Thanks. I thing dialog is very important as well. In some cases it can make or break a book.
Thanks for commenting!

Lily