Friday, November 5, 2010

Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough



Once a witch by Carolyn MacCullough

Reviewed by Moiraethefates book blog.

After seeing numerous reviews for this book, I picked it up. I have always enjoyed books about witches especially during Halloween.
For me it took about 100 pages before the book really picked up. The start was a bit slow for me, but I understand that the author needed to set up the story.
The main character Tamsin, is from a family of powerful witches, when she was born, it was prophesized that she’d be the most powerful of all. However, Tamsin has no Talent. (Not a spoiler, it says this on the book jacket).
Tamsin is mistaken for Rowena, her powerful older sister and she agrees to help a professor from the local college locate a family heirloom.
The story line itself, I found original. I enjoyed the writing style and the intrigue that MacCullough created. Her characters are well developed and they all seemed very believable to me. I loved the fact that she created this truly unique story. I like that the witches don’t say they have magic they call it Talent. I haven’t found a book that replaces the word ‘magic’ with another word. I found it refreshing.
It was a fair quick read as well less then 300 pages. I do wish that there had been more descriptions about the ceremonies that appear in the story. I always like reading the ceremonies. I also wish it would have been longer, it seemed really short and I felt like I was missing something. I do hope that the next book in the series “Always a Witch” will be longer and that it will give the readers more answers to the questions we have from book one. Over all I liked the book and I am looking forward to book two.

Cover art: I was not overly impressed with the cover art to the hardcover edition of this book.

What parents need to know : There was no sexual content in this book aside from kissing.

Overall rating: *** 3 out of 5 stars

Obtained from my local library.

2 comments:

AngelicNytmare said...

I'm ready to the read this one I did it backwards and read the second one from netgalley so I went onkine and bought this one. Thanks for the review. :)

Moirae(thefates) book reviews said...

I am very excited for the second one!! Thanks for the comment!