Saturday, October 2, 2010

Forgive my fins by Tera Lynn Childs

Forgive my Fins

Forgive my fins by Tera Lynn Childs was a very enjoyable read for me. The book is narrated in the present tense by Lily .
The book centers around Lily Sanderson a mermaid princess. She is on land living with her Aunt Rachel. She has one main reason to be there and one reason only to find her mermate.
Lily has it all planned out she knows who she wants to be her mermate, but when the bonding goes wrong she is sent on a long wild run trying to set it right. She takes her bonded mate back to her mercity with her to get the bond severed.
The relationship between Lily and her mate is believable; it never felt like Childs was forcing something that just wasn’t there. It was a true and natural flow.
The only thing I didn’t find believable was the reaction of one of the characters when Lily tells them she is a mermaid. As one would expect there would be disbelief, but the character accepts it blindly. Childs does address this, but it still seemed a little too perfect for me.
Some may think that Lily is self absorbed and hung up on Brody; however, I didn’t see it that way, I think Childs did a wonderful job in reinitiating through Lily that Lily is in love (or perhaps thinks she is) with Brody.
One thing I found really refreshing about Lily is that she is not Mary-Sue in any way. She is not queen bee nor is she top of the class. She is less then popular and she is towards the bottom of her class.
The imagery that Childs dreams up when Lily is home with her merfolk is amazing! I simply loved every word of it. The creativity in the seaslang is really fun. This is a great book and a great read on a hot summer day. After all what else is more fun to read on a warm sunny beach then a mermaid story?

The cover art
I thought the contrast of the blues, greens and purples was a great touch. The cover is simply gorgeous. I loved it.

What parents need to know
This was a very PG safe book. The only ‘Sexual content’ was kissing, if you can even call it sexual content.

Over all rating of Forgive my fins
***=3 out of 5 stars

Obtained
MY personal bookshelf

No comments: